Therapy dogs must be at least one year old, well-socialized, non-aggressive and immaculately groomed. Dogs must be licensed, current on all inoculations, and have successfully completed basic obedience training. Handlers must be at least eighteen years old and attend an orientation. The handler/dog team must then pass our two-part test.
Remember, we are evaluating you and your dog. You must have your dog under control at all times during the evaluation.
Part I of our test evaluates the dog’s temperament and reliability in the type of experiences encountered on a regular visit (exposure to other dogs, walkers, wheelchairs, etc.) Part II verifies that the handler can control the dog through a demonstration of basic obedience skills, including a 90 second sit/stay and 90 second down/stay.
Once those criteria have been met, the handler/dog team may register with Comfort Caring Canines and proudly wear the Comfort Caring Canines Registered Therapy Dog tag.
- Special ID tags
- A million dollars of liability insurance coverage
- A network of volunteers and established schedules for visits
Orientations and Evaluations
As dates are scheduled for orientations and evaluations, they will be posted to the event calendar page. Usually orientations and evaluations are offered three times a year (fall, winter, and spring).
The orientation is the first step toward becoming a member of Comfort Caring Canines. At the orientation, you will learn what therapy dog work is all about and the requirements needed to become a member. Please do not bring your dog to the orientation.
After you’ve attended the orientation and your dog has passed basic obedience, then you’re ready for the evaluation. If you would like to attend the next evaluation or are a current member and would like to test a new dog, please reserve your spot now as space is limited. Evaluation dates are posted on our event calendar page.
Our Evaluation Process…
- Requirements for evaluation:
- Must attend orientation – check Events for next orientation date
- Your dog must be one year of age
- Your dog must have completed a 6-8 week basic obedience course (for information on obedience training and what is a proper obedience course, go to the AKC website: Obedience We require at least a basic class, puppy class is NOT acceptable. For a list of local obedience classes, click HERE)
- Bring the following to the evaluation:
- Copies of current vaccination documents: rabies & DHP (distemper, hepatitis & parvo.)
- Copy of dog license
- Two 1″x 1″ pictures (head shot) of youself and Two 1″x 1″ pictures (head shot) of your dog (for ID card) & our records.
- Proper leash and collar
- Copy of obedience course certificate
- Fees for testing:
- $30 for each dog tested (pass or fail)
- $25 membership fee
- $5 membership fee for each additional dog
- No treats permitted during testing
- No pinch collars or anti-jump harnesses; click here for acceptable collars and leads: Acceptable Collars & Leads
- If more than one family member will be visiting with dog, they must all test for obedience. Only one temperament evaluation is necessary.
- Temperament is pass/fail. Decision by evaluators is final.
Please review the following documents for CCC Membership:
CCC_Membership_Form.pdf – Contains a printable version of the information on this page
CCC registrationform.pdf – Fill out required information and bring with you to the evaluation